The primary concern with ready-made meals is their lack of vegetables or salads, but when you’re eating a ready-made meal you’re usually in a hurry, so if you’re going to think about adding something to it, it would have to be just as quick and easy.
Here are some very fast salad and vegetable ideas that you could add to a ready-made meal to ensure that it doesn’t sabotage your health and weight loss goals:
1. The following items are easy to keep in your pantry and make for great (very low kilojoule) salad additions: Bottled asparagus, artichoke in brine, gherkins, peppadews, fresh herbs (basil, coriander, parsley, rosemary, etc.), mushrooms in brine, pickled onions, sprouts, sundried tomatoes in vinegar. Also a selection of vinegars, low oil dressings and herb salts.
2. Slice a few cucumber slices and one large tomato and serve with torn fresh basil leaves.
3. While warming up your ready-made meal, warm up 1 cup of frozen vegetables and season with any fresh herb or herb salt.
4. Grab a handful of cherry tomatoes with some rocket leaves and serve with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
5. Chopped cucumber, onion and snap peas mixed with a little plain yoghurt and fresh coriander.
6. Broccoli spears or any crudités type vegetables (snap peas, baby corn, baby carrots) work well a these can be eaten raw or lightly steamed if you prefer, seasoned with herb salt.
7. Roast vegetables in larger quantities and keep this in the fridge for a few days
8. Grate carrots and cabbage and add a low oil dressing or simply season with vinegar, lemon juice and herb salt. This salad keeps in the fridge for up to a week!