When the cravings strike (no matter the season), be sure that you are prepared.
These ideas will warm your tummy without filling out your waistline!
- A cup of vegetable soup, ideally home-made, is an excellent nutritious winter snack. Use fat-free milk to make cream of vegetable soups and add fat-free yoghurt instead of cream.
- Snack on left-over roast veggies when you feel peckish. Warm them up quickly in a mug or bowl in a microwave.
- Top a small slice of ryebread or a few ryvitas or provitas with some avocado, fish paste, cottage cheese, pesto or a little bit of lower fat cheese grilled in microwave or oven.
- Heat a third of a cup of baked beans, sweetcorn or peas in the microwave and add a dash of mustard, tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce or low fat mayonnaise.
- Top a few pieces of dried fruit such as pear halves, turkish apricots, peaches or mango strips with a slice of goats, camembert or blue cheese for a tangy snack.
- Gently fry a handful of cherry tomatoes in some balsamic vinegar, season to taste with herb salt and enjoy!
- Keep healthier options close at hand in your handbag or desk drawer for easy access such as home made popcorn, fresh fruit, dried fruit, stewed fruit, nuts or lean biltong